Tuesday, June 12, 2012

11 Years – Enough!

Some folks put a bumper sticker on their car that says, “I’m not a native Texan, but I got here as fast as I could.”

That does not fit me!

It’s tough leaving good friends – David and Bea – David and Tammy – Mike and Patty. But I’m sure we’ll keep in touch – even though I don’t do Christmas cards! There are other folks I’ll miss too, but they’re not as close. 

San Antonio – I loved the winters and detested the summers.  95ºF (35ºC) or more from May to September and humidity that just drenched ya!  Typically the summer temps were 95º to 104º in the late afternoon and it was still 88º at 2am.  The low occurred just before dawn and was frequently in the 75º to 78º range.  So a 20º to 25º night-day difference was typical.
These temps made it easy to move from air conditioned house to air conditioned car to air conditioned work to air conditioned grocery to air conditioned restaurant and then back to your air conditioned house.

No more $300 (or more) monthly electrical bills in the summer for me.  I’m finding or traveling to a climate where the days are warm but the nights are pleasantly cool.  Then in winter I’ll bundle up and throw another log on the fire.

Finally, selling 8607 also completely closes an 11-year period of living in a suburb of a HUGE city.  Having a house – no matter how convenient – too close to a freeway and the international airport and thus suffering constant noise and dirt.

I know I should never say never – but I am confident that I will never again live so close to a freeway or a major airport.  I will not suffer the noise or pollution.  Additionally, I am also confident that, while I may visit Texas at some point in the future, I’ll not live in a house in Texas again.

Been There Done That and now it’s Good-Bye Texas!

No comments:

Post a Comment